We had a whole bunch of dank apples in our crisper so I decided to try out this Crummy Apple Bread recipe in one of my fave cookbooks The Clueless Baker: Baking from Scratch Easy as Pie by Evelyn Raab. I decided to improvise because I was in a muffin mood and the recipe calls for crumble topping, but the Hubs doesn’t like that so here is my improvised version of Evelyn’s recipe to share with y’all. Let’s call them Apple Muffins…
- 2 cups flour (I used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white all purpose)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 medium sized apples peeled and chopped (you can use any old apple, but I wouldn’t use Granny Smith or the Delicious variety)
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped up
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Let’s get started!
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda together and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor whiz up the sugar, eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla until the mixture is smooth (I didn’t use the food processor because I’m lazy and didn’t want to clean it, instead I mixed it in a bowl with a fork but I ended up having to add water to the batter because it wasn’t liquidy enough. SO I suggest you follow the instructions!)
- Add liquid mixture to dry mixture and stir until combined and smooth (if you’re mixture is on the dry side just add water)
- Dump in chopped apples, cinnamon and walnuts and stir to mix.
- Line a muffin tin with little muffin cups and pour/scoop batter into cups.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until muffin tops are golden brown.
Yum and your house will smell cozy too!