Everyone is going bonkers over these “candy bars” I recently made. The hubs, friends, even my three-year-old L’il E is gobbling them up. The best part is they’re gluten free, vegan and sweetened with pitted dates (ew!) so no matter who pops by for a visit you’ll be able to pull these bad boys out!
It’s a recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow’s most recent cookbook It’s All Good.
Want to give them a spin? Here’s the recipe!
- 1.5 cups raw cashews (I used almond meal)
- 1.5 cups pitted dates
- 1/2 cup almond butter (I used peanut butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (I used vanilla extract)
- 1.5 cups dark chocolate chips (I used semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 1.5 tbsp coconut oil
1. Grind cashews to a fine meal in your food processor (or just use almond meal). Add the dates, almond butter (peanut butter), maple syrup, coconut flour, shredded coconut, and almond extract (vanilla extract) and pulse until it’s all mixed up.
2. Line a brownie pan with parchment paper and press the sticky mixture into a rectangle about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for 6-8 hours, until firm (I’m usually really impulsive and hate waiting, but you gotta do it).
3. Once firm, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler and let melt. Pour chocolate mixture over cold cashew mixture. Let the chocolate set in the fridge for 1 hour.
4. Using the parchment paper lift the bars out of the pan and cut into rectangles or small squares. Serve right away or store in a container in the fridge or freezer (don’t leave them out on the counter because the chocolate will melt!)
I can guarantee these won’t last long!