Remember Roald Dahl? Well his daughter, Sophie, has a really great cookbook titled Miss Dahl’s Voluptuous Delights that I’m totally digging these days. The book is full of little anecdotes, fresh and easy to follow recipes, mouth-watering photographs and it’s broken up by season (I love that) so you can easily find something delicious to make for every meal. Most of her recipes are wheat free and there are several really great vegetarian dishes, but she includes meat and fish as well.
Last weekend I whipped up her Lemon Capri torte to treat my mom for Mother’s Day. It was delicious and lemony, made with my favourite ingredient – ground almond meal! I topped it with whipped cream and blackberries. A sprig of mint would have been a nice touch too. Want to try?
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 4 lemons zest and juice
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 1 cup potato flour/starch
- Preheat oven to 400F and grease a 9” spring-form pan
- Cream butter and sugar, then add egg yolks, lemon zest and juice.
- In a separate bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and add to the mixture.
- Fold in the ground almonds and potato flour.
- Pour mixture into cake pan and bake for 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to 300F and bake for another 40 minutes.
- Cool and serve.